Friday, 6 October 2006

The Provincial Lady in London

Glorious start to day, with rosy hued sunrise on one side of the house and rainbow on the other. Sadly the bad weather promised by both "red sky in the morning" and distant rainbow arrives during bike ride to station and I arrive soaking wet and very cold and steam gently all the way to Waterloo.

Read E.M. Delafield's "Diary of a Provincial Lady" on the train and like Helen Fielding before me am very influenced by her style of writing.

Am struck again on tube by similarity between commuters and Hobbits and this train of thought prompts me to purchase second breakfast. Morning takes turn for better when I discover that loyalty to famous purveyor of bagels is to be reward with free bagel. Celebrate by purchasing hot chocolate with whipped cream for girls in office from well known American Coffee Bar.

Anxiously inspect my thighs for signs of either hot chocolate and bagel and/or daily cycling and find none. (Query have they cancelled each other out or is it simply Too Soon to Tell? Resolve to ask dear friend Rachel who runs, scuba dives and mountain climbs For Fun and will therefore Know About Such Things.)

Spend morning dealing with numerous enquiries regarding boat hire from members of public who are quite frankly too stupid to hire boats and will probably constitute danger to others and themselves, but am constrained in my desire to express this opinion by need to earn living, at least for rest of month.

New mobile phone arrives and I am delighted with it. Call dear friend Charlotte and tell her I am leaving my job and she says How Brave and What Will I Do? And I laugh depreciatingly and say Not Really and I Don't Know, Perhaps I Will Finally Start to Write?

Ride moving staircase at Waterloo behind exquisite creature in red coat with sheet of blonde hair down back. Mentally try on coat (it doesn't fit) and speculate fruitlessly as to why I am the only woman in London with hair that doesn't lie flat down my back, instead looking like something that cats or Husband To Be have chewed while I am sleeping (this not, to my knowledge, the case and can think of no way to tactfully investigate with HTB). Take shallow and unworthy pleasure in noticing ball of long hair stuck to coat in armpit, spirits raised out of all proportion that I am not the only longhaired woman afflicted by this phenomenon.

HTB offers to cook, and pizza and garlic bread duly arrive, very proudly reports that he Has Done The Washing Up, admit more thought could have gone into response of Was There Much With Pizza? but alas sometimes the mouth is swifter than the brain.

Retire to bed at 10pm and fall asleep promptly in middle of train of thought too ridiculous to record but involving number of things I am too worried about to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment