Friday, 8 September 2006

Paper Wars

I have watched with great interest the free paper 'wars' that have started recently in the city. On the one hand you have the vocal, uniformed, employees of Murdoch's "thelondonpaper" (purple is such an imperial colour don't you think?) and on the other the less obviously liveried and kitted out "londonlite".

Until tonight I played the role of collaborator and took one of each, but tonight I decided to take neither and set off across London Bridge dodging and weaving like Luke Skywalker with the entire Imperial Army behind him. I reached Waterloo paperless ("the force is strong with this one") but exhausted by my efforts.

It's not as if I don't already spend enough time dodging people on my commute. There's the Christians (no I don't want to take Jesus as my own personal saviour - I don't share well and if he's mine, no one else can play with him); the sports paper people (commuting in trainers does not make me interested in sport); the gorilla marathon people (again, shoes aside, do I look remotely like I am interested in running anywhere? Let me send you a cheque) and the men's suit people - although I do applaud their efforts in having a man wearing nothing but Y-fronts, shoes and a bowler hat standing around in a body paint suit, even if the poor blighter did appear to be feeling the cold. I'd recommend an extra pair of socks - both for insulation and for the sake of his pride!

Obviously some further thought needs to be given to my evasion tactics, this is definitely not "just like beggar's canyon back home".

No comments:

Post a Comment